|St Andrew's Church
reach Sonning (“Sunna’s inga”, literally Sunna's People”, another Anglo-Saxon
settlement) take the path right, after the iron railings, through to the
for flint on this path.
Church, Sonning, was founded in the 7th century. Significant parts of
the present church date from 1310 and a major reconstruction took place
in 1350, to celebrate deliverance from the Black Death.
much of the rest of the church, including the tower.
is mostly built of flint, probably from local pits whose scars can now
be seen but softened by ivy overgrowth, in the Blue Coat School woods
adjacent to Sonning Lock.
is very difficult to build corners and window mullions with flint, these
features were built of stone (shelly oolitic limestone of Middle Jurassic
age, possibly from Taynton north-west of Oxford).
at the flint in the church walls and you will see some of the pieces have
holes in them. These are from fossils which were embedded in the flint
when it was formed and have since fallen out.
see Yew Trees in the churchyard.
Yew was always
present in churchyards in medieval times to provide the wood to make bows
TO PROFESSOR BRUCE SELLWOOD OF READING UNIVERSITY FOR ALL OF HIS HELP
WITH THIS WALK