By 1805 Simonds
owned 10 public houses and the brewer supplied beer to the Royal Military
College at Sandhurst.
Simonds was certainly an entrepreneur. In around 1814 he founded a bank
in King Street, Reading with his cousins John and Charles Simonds and
of 'J and C Simonds' can still be seen on Barclays Bank in Market Place,
with which Simonds Bank merged in 1913.
son, Blackall Simonds, took over the brewery and opened up more pubs.
He then went
into partnership with his two younger brothers Henry and George and the
brewery eventually came H & G Simonds.
sold to Courage in 1960 and in the early seventies it moved its operations
to Worton Grange next to the M4.
that you pass on the banks of the Thames is believed to be an old Simonds
pub, now owned by Reading University. The building has remained vacant
for many years, partly due to access problems.
TO PROFESSOR BRUCE SELLWOOD OF READING UNIVERSITY FOR ALL OF HIS HELP
WITH THIS WALK