The BBC Trust and BBC Executive have published the conclusions of their joint review of BBC governance, and announced a series of changes to the working relationship between the Trust and Executive.
The review was announced in September 2013 to address the need to clarify roles and responsibilities and improve the working culture between the two parts of the Corporation. The Chairman and Director-General wrote to the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport in September 2013 setting out the plans for the review.
The aims for the review, as set out in this letter, were to:
- Provide clarity about responsibilities;
- Ensure that the Trust and Executive have agreed a way of working together that prevents future misunderstanding or confusion;
- Avoid duplication and overlap, including in areas such as remuneration and audit;
- Ensure effective decisionmaking and accountability; and
- Focus on the licence fee payer.