Sir Ivan Whiteside Magill (1888–1986) was an Irish born anaesthetist who is famous for his involvement in much of the innovation and development in modern anaesthesia. Originally a general practitioner, he accepted a post at the Queen's Hospital, Sidcup, in 1919 as an anaesthetist. The hospital had been established for the treatment of facial injuries sustained in the First World War. Working with plastic surgeon Harold Gillies, he was responsible for the development of numerous items of anaesthetic equipment but most particularly the single-tube technique of endotracheal anaesthesia. This was driven by the immense difficulties of administering 'standard' anaesthetics such as chloroform and ether to men with severe facial injury using masks; they would cover the operative field. Following the closure of the hospital, and the diminishing numbers of patients seen from the war era, he continued to work with Gillies in private practice but was also appointed to the Westminster and Brompton Hospitals, London. He was Knighted by Elizabeth II in 1960. He was closely involved in the establishment of the Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland as well as the Faculty of Anaesthesia of the Royal College of Surgeons where he developed the Diploma in Anaesthesia, the first professional examination in the specialty. Doctors today can still be awarded the Magill medal for outstanding performance in the December sitting of the Final Fellowship examination.
Where to see this painting?
Royal College of Anaesthetists
Not all paintings are on display. If you want to see a particular painting, please contact the collection