This portrait of Sir Donald Macdonald by David Alison, RSA, was presented to the town of Inverness on 24th September 1924.
Donald Macdonald was born in Inverness. He served his apprenticeship as a compositor and worked for several years for the 'Inverness Courier', before setting up business as a general merchant. He had an interest in shipping and became the owner of several trading schooners, importing, in particular, coal. Subsequently he became a senior partner in the firm of Macdonald and Morrison, shipping agents and coal merchants, and owned the estate of Kessock and Craigton.
Macdonald was a member of the Town Council for over 30 years and served as provost from 1916 to 1922. It was during his period as provost that the British Cabinet Meeting convened in Inverness Town House on 7th September 1921. This was the only cabinet meeting of the British Government ever held outside London.
Where to see this painting?
Inverness Town House
High Street, Inverness, Highland, Scotland, IV1 1JJ
If you are planning a visit to see this painting, check with the collection first. Paintings can be moved at short notice.