Shows Nottingham Market Place from just west of St James' Street and the present Market Street looking towards Exchange Building in the centre of the picture. Names of shops and inns are clearly shown, for example 'Swann' on Long Row may refer to 'Swan and Sons' the drapers or 'Henry and Samuel Swann' grocers. Both the 'Maypole' and 'Black Boy' inns on Long Row are shown but not sign-posted. The pavements on Long Row and South Parade were constructed to help keep people's shoes and clothes clean. The gas lamps were first erected in 1819 to light the late night shopping which was part of the market days. The pump located in front of Exchange Building was removed in January 1831. A mezzotint engraving (see NCM 1910-10) by Henry Dawe after William Goodacre and published by W. Dearden in 1837 was based on a second version of this scene painted c.1836 (private collection Nottingham).
Where to see this painting?
Nottingham Castle Museum and Art Gallery
Not all paintings are on display. If you want to see a particular painting, please contact the collection
More on this painting
purchased from Neales Auctioneers with the assistance of the Museums, Libraries and Archives Council/Victoria and Albert Museum Purchase Grant Fund, 1996