Malcolm Macleod was born in Stornoway and lived there for his first ten years, attending Sandwick School until his family relocated to their home in Govan, Glasgow. Although he spent the rest of his life in Glasgow, Malcolm Macleod’s strong ties with the island were recognised in 1938 when he became one of the first three honorary freemen of the burgh of Stornoway.
Starting as an office boy to the Clerk of the Govan Parish School Board, Macleod eventually became Depute Clerk and Treasurer to the Glasgow School Board. He was a founder member and president of the Lewis and Harris Association which is still in existence today. This portrait was painted in 1929 and presented to Malcolm Macleod by Ceilidh nan Gaidheal, Glasgow, of which he was the founder and, for over 30 years, President. For almost 50 years he was an elder and honorary precentor of St Columba’s Gaelic Church of Scotland, Govan.
Where to see this painting?
Museum nan Eilean
Not all paintings are on display. If you want to see a particular painting, please contact the collection