Bradfield served as a parish priest in Heyside, Lancashire, before he became secretary of the Canterbury Diocesan Board of Finance. In 1934 he was appointed an Honorary Canon of Canterbury Cathedral. He became Archdeacon of Croydon in 1942 and was appointed Bishop of Bath and Wells in 1946. Here his use of the Bishop's Palace was restricted by post-war shortages and building materials. After the renovation of the North Wing he was able to live in more comfortable domestic rooms and more suitable offices for his staff. At the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953 he was the supporter at her left hand. He was a keen sportsman and was elected President of Somerset County Cricket Club in 1954. He died in 1960 and was buried in the Cathedral.
Where to see this painting?
The Bishop's Palace & Gardens
Wells, Somerset, England, BA5 2PD
If you are planning a visit to see this painting, check with the collection first. Paintings can be moved at short notice.