Edward VII was elected to honorary fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians in 1897 when he was Prince of Wales. To mark the occasion, he was presented with a replica of the gold-headed cane – the famous emblem of the RCP, carried in turn by five generations of eminent doctors (Radcliffe, Mead, Askew, Picairn and Baillie) before being presented to the RCP in 1823. The prince had already shown his interest in medical services by inaugurating the Prince of Wales's (later King Edward VII) Hospital Fund for London the same year. The portrait was presented by the fellows of the RCP in 1906. The head corresponds almost exactly with the state portrait of 1902 by Fildes of which there is a version in the National Portrait Gallery, London.
Where to see this painting?
Royal College of Physicians, London
11 St Andrew's Place
Regent's Park, London, Greater London, England, NW1 4LE
If you are planning a visit to see this painting, check with the collection first. Paintings can be moved at short notice.
More on this painting
gift from the fellows of the Royal College of Physicians of London, 1906