Born in Arbroath and educated in Dundee, Alexander Keiller attended medical classes in Edinburgh. He became a Licentiate of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 1833 and two years later Doctor of Medicine at St Andrews and Licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh. He then worked in general practice in Dundee for seven years, returning to Edinburgh in 1844, where he became a most successful and versatile teacher in the Extra-Mural School. He and Dr Skae succeeded Dr Knox in the department of anatomy. Keiller then taught gynaecology, materia medica, medical jurisprudence and diseases of women and children. In 1851 he was appointed a physician to the Royal Infirmary where his skill as a gynaecologist resulted in his ward becoming wholly gynaecological. On retiring from the Royal Infirmary, he was appointed one of the physicians to the Royal Hospital for Sick Children.
Where to see this painting?
Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh
Not all paintings are on display. If you want to see a particular painting, please contact the collection