The Art Gallery was designed by Julius Chatwin of Birmingham and built by Horsman & Co. in 1884. It is a Neo-classical design built in Bath stone with Doric and Ionic style facades. The upper storey is decorated with panels of Portland stone sculpted by Boulton of Cheshire. The red brick building designed to house the School of Art (which was run in conjunction with the gallery was added at a later date). The modern Gallery incorporates both buildings as a well as a modern extension, designed by architects Niall Phillips and opened in 2007 to house the Pop Art collection and temporary exhibitions.
The Gallery is five minutes walk from the nearest train, bus and metro stations and car parking is available at the Civic Centre, just two minutes walk away.
This location is open to the public
Lichfield Street, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England, WV1 1DU
If you are planning a visit to see a particular painting, check with the location first. Paintings can be moved at short notice