Set in extensive gardens beside the River Stour near the West Gate, this Early Victorian house is the location for civic receptions.
It was built around one of 21 medieval bastions constructed to defend Canterbury's city walls and acquired in 1886 by the Williamson family, proprietors of Canterbury's famous tannery. Mr Stephen Williamson presented it to the city of Canterbury in 1936 as a memorial to his family's 200-year association with the city and the family's 50-year residence at Tower House. The Victorian wings were subsequently demolished, leaving only the core building, surrounded by Westgate Gardens. Mayoral portraits are displayed in reception areas.
Not all locations are open to the public. Please contact the gallery or collection for more information.