The Library of Innerpeffray is Scotland's oldest free public lending library. It was founded in 1680 by local landowner David Drummond, 3rd Lord Madertie, together with a school for local children. Originally housed in Innerpeffray Chapel, it is now located in a beautiful Georgian building, the gift of a later Patron, Robert Hay Drummond, Archbishop of York.
There are around 5,000 books in the Library, some 3,000 dating to before 1800. Amongst our treasures are 400 books belonging to the Founder, enabling visitors to see first-hand the reading material available to local people for the past three centuries. The names, addresses and occupations of residents of the local community are recorded in the Borrower's Register as far back as 1747.
The collection of paintings includes portraits of early Patrons of the Library, members of the founding family, the Hay Drummonds, and pictures gifted to us in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
This location is open to the public
Crieff, Perth and Kinross, Scotland, PH7 3RF
If you are planning a visit to see a particular painting, check with the location first. Paintings can be moved at short notice