The Royal Cambrian Academy of Art was founded in 1881 and settled on its Conwy home in 1886 after a period of discussion, and dispute, between artists in north and south Wales. The Academy is an artist run body, with Prince Charles as its current patron, mounting exhibitions of its members, hosting touring shows from the National Museum of Wales the National Library of Wales, and other bodies, art groups and individuals with links to Wales and Welsh art. In addition, a programme of educational activities for children and adults take place at the Academy.
In 1992 the Academy moved to its present space, a former chapel adjacent to its original home, Plas Mawr. Its collection of members’ works, formed over many years, was reluctantly sold to aid this move, and the Academy retains only a handful of pictures in its archive.
The Royal Cambrian Academy of Art does intend to reintroduce the acquisition of an example works, from present members and new members on election, to form a collection for the future. This will take the form of promised works, accessible as a virtual collection on account of the lack of current storage space, and will be advertised and available on the Academy’s website.
This location is open to the public
Crown Lane, Conwy, Conwy, Wales, LL32 8AN
If you are planning a visit to see a particular painting, check with the location first. Paintings can be moved at short notice