The Rotunda Museum was purpose built as a museum in 1829 to house the collections of the Scarborough Philosophical Society, the wings were added in 1860. The circular form of the building was suggested by William Smith the ‘Father of British Geology’ in order to demonstrate the position of the fossils and rocks in their strata. It stands at the foot of Vernon Road with a fine view of the south easterly part of the bay.
Not all locations are open to the public. Please contact the gallery or collection for more information.