Wakehurst Place, the country estate of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, is significant for its horticultural collections, scientific research and plant conservation. The Elizabethan house, built by Sir Edward Culpeper, dates from 1590, although most of it was demolished in the seventeenth century and in 1845. The chapel, with its Kempe stained glass of 1905 and 1907, was added in the 1870s and there is a room painted by a Japanese artist whom the Mikado had sent to study in Paris.
It was owned by Gerald Loder (1861–1936), Baron Wakehurst, a barrister, businessman and Conservative politician, and subsequently President of the Royal Arboricultural Society and the Horticultural Society from 1903, whose main interest was the garden. His successor and his wife, Sir Henry Price (1877–1963), and Eva ‘Eve’ Mary Dickson (1907–1994), Lady Price, also keen botanists, had roses named after them: Pieris formosa ‘Henry Price’ and Viburnum tinus ‘Eve Price’. They are also the sitters in the only two oil pictures in the house, by Sir Frank O. Salisbury. Henry bequeathed the estate to the National Trust whilst his wife remained there until 1982.
This location is open to the public
Ardingly, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, England, RH17 6TN
If you are planning a visit to see a particular painting, check with the location first. Paintings can be moved at short notice