Mount Grace Priory, now one of the most important Carthusian ruins in England, was founded in 1398 by Thomas Holland (1374–1400), 1st Duke of Surrey, son of Richard II’s half-brother Thomas, Earl of Kent. On the abdication of Richard, Surrey attempted the assassination of Henry IV at New Year in 1400, but he was captured and executed. When his body was eventually recovered 12 years later, he was reburied in the charterhouse he had founded.
After the dissolution of the monasteries, the ruins of the guest-house of the Priory were incorporated into two later houses: a seventeenth-century manor, built by Thomas Lascelles and a larger Arts and Crafts house of 1900/1901. No collections are preserved here; those of the bequest of the last resident, Kathleen (Kay) Elizabeth Mary Cooper Abbs (1901–1974), are dispersed elsewhere throughout the Trust’s Yorkshire properties. The only pictures – all views of the Priory – are now on display in the Visitors’ Room.
The greater part of the fourteenth-century priory was transferred to the Trust in 1953 through the National Land Fund. The site is under English Heritage guardianship.
This location is open to the public
Staddle Bridge, Northallerton, North Yorkshire, England, DL6 3JG
If you are planning a visit to see a particular painting, check with the location first. Paintings can be moved at short notice