Moseley Old Hall was transformed in 1870 from a many-gabled, half-timbered, high-chimneyed house of about 1600, known from watercolours and old photographs, to a nondescript red brick villa with altered fenestration, although much of the original panelling and timber framing survives inside. It was given to the National Trust by the Wiggin family in 1962, having been bought and rescued in 1940 by Will Wiggin of Bloxurich, but virtually devoid of contents. It was originally built in 1600 by Henry Pitt, a merchant from nearby Bushbury and was inherited by his daughter, Alice, in 1602, who later married Thomas Whitegreave of Bridgeford who hid Charles II in the house for two nights in September 1651. It remained in the Whitgreave family until they sold it in 1925 and moved to Moseley Court, when it then became known as Moseley Old Hall. Almost everything there now has come by gift, bequest, or loan; the portraits are of those involved with Charles’s escape.
This location is open to the public
Moseley Old Hall Lane
Fordhouses, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England, WV10 7HY
If you are planning a visit to see a particular painting, check with the location first. Paintings can be moved at short notice