The estate of Holnicote was given to the National Trust with the estate of Killerton in 1944, by Sir Richard Dyke Acland (1906–1990), 15th Bt out of political and social principle, and to preserve them for future generations. It had come to the Aclands of Killerton through the marriage in 1745 of Sir Thomas Acland (1723–1785), 7th Bt, to the great heiress, Elizabeth (d.1751), daughter of Thomas Dyke of Tetton. The two estates formed the greatest gift of land that the Trust had ever received. The manor house had burnt down in 1779, with much of its contents, and again in 1851, and was only been partially repaired, before being let go. Similarly, nothing remains of the cottage orné built by the ‘The Great Sir Thomas’, Sir Thomas Dyke Acland (1787–1871), 10th Bt. The handful of twentieth-century pictures reproduced here is found in the estate’s café.
This location is open to the public
Selworthy, Minehead, Somerset, England, TA24 8TJ
If you are planning a visit to see a particular painting, check with the location first. Paintings can be moved at short notice