Godolphin is a remarkable piece of architecture of the 1630s, with a front colonnade, and a garden whose layout goes back to the fourteenth century. After the death of Francis, 2nd Baron Godolphin of Helston (1707–1785), the family became extinct in the male line. The Dukes of Leeds, who had inherited the property through the marriage of Thomas (Osborne) (1713–1789), 4th Duke of Leeds to Lady Mary Godolphin (1722/1723–1764), younger daughter of Francis (1645–1712), 2nd (and last) Earl of Godolphin abandoned it in the nineteenth century. It was saved from ruin by the artist Sydney Schofield and his wife Mary, who bought it in 1937. They bought the family portraits. In 2000, the National Trust acquired its 550-acre estate, including the remains of the deer park, tin mine, copper mine, and count house; and in 2007 it bought the house and garden, and selected contents of the house, including a set of studies of St Ives Fishermen by Sydney Scholfield and 'The Four Seasons' series by Robert Organ.