The Museum of Wigan Life is housed in the former Wigan Free Public Library, which was designed by Alfred Waterhouse in the Gothic Revival style. The Grade II listed building is a very fine example of a town library of the period and remains virtually as it was built. The library opened in 1878 and was paid for by the generosity of Thomas Taylor, JP and Mayor of Wigan. The building has been the home of the borough’s museum and local studies collections since 1992. The ground floor now houses the museum’s permanent and temporary exhibition galleries. The permanent exhibition explores the identity and pride of local people in the history of their borough. Displays, including fine art, relate to the history of the building, civic growth and pride, local customs, sports and the First and Second World Wars. The upper floor houses the Wigan local studies collections. This includes books and pamphlets relating to local history, maps, electoral registers, church registers on microfilm, local newspapers on microfilm and the People’s Network, giving access to the internet and genealogy services.
This location is open to the public
Library Street, Wigan, Greater Manchester, England, WN1 1NU
If you are planning a visit to see a particular painting, check with the location first. Paintings can be moved at short notice