Carmarthenshire County Council has a number of office buildings including County Hall, which was designed in 1935 by Sir Percy Thomas but not completed until 1955. It stands on the site of the castle and gaol. The collection of paintings in these buildings has been mainly brought together by purchase since the late 1950s. The works of art are by artists who have either lived or worked in Carmarthenshire. It was formerly part of Dyfed County Council collection, which was dispersed on local government reorganisation in 1996. Almost all of the paintings date from the period after 1945. The collection has not expanded since 1996.