This school historically holds a single painting, ‘John Ballantyne’ by Henry Raeburn. This is cared for by South Ayrshire Council’s Museums and Galleries Service. Ayr Academy’s origins date back to the Sang Scule of Ayr, as early as 1233. The current building is a classical edifice, opened in 1880. The art department, added by architect James A. Morris in 1907, overlooks the river.