The Museum’s statement of purpose is: ‘To interpret the life and times of David Lloyd George 1863–1945 by collecting, caring for and displaying items relating to him and to develop the Museum and Highgate as a worthy centre to commemorate one of the greatest statesmen of the twentieth century and as a focus for information and research that will promote worldwide awareness of his achievements.’
The Museum and Cottage outline the life and times of Lloyd George between 1863 and 1945. The Museum collection is based on the original Lloyd George Museum Trust’s collection, which ran the Museum between 1947 until 1987. It includes freedom caskets and scrolls, medals, memorabilia, paintings and archives. Gwynedd County Council took over the Museum in 1987, and established a new Trust. Since then two extensions have been added to the museum and the collections have been added to extensively.
Highgate, Lloyd George’s Victorian boyhood home and his uncle’s shoemaking workshop, given to the Council by members of Lloyd George’s family, have been furnished as they were when he lived there. Many of the items are on loan from the Museum of Welsh Life, others are owned by, or loaned from various sources, to the Council.
This Museum is of only two, that exist in Britain, that commemorate former prime ministers and it includes several aspects of the social history of the period such as religion, education, politics and cottage life.
This location is open to the public
Llanystumdwy, Criccieth, Gwynedd, Wales, LL52 0SH
If you are planning a visit to see a particular painting, check with the location first. Paintings can be moved at short notice