Selected for 24
After the town had changed hands 12 times down the ages, Berwick-upon-Tweed at last became definitively English on August
24th, 1482 when Edward IV took possession of what had long been Scotland's principal port. Having lost one Berwick, Scotland
has (so far) managed to hang onto the other one. Berwick Law is a conical hill dominating the harbour. It is NORTH Berwick
that is referred to in today's poem, a lyric affirming its author's fondness for, 'wine, women and song'. Mary is probably,
'Highland Mary', whom Burns, 'seduced and abandoned', although HE didn't set sail from Leith, having planned to emigrate.