Find out how to nominate, vote for and debate your favourite living icon.
Nominations are now closed.
Nominations opened at 7.25pm on Saturday 14th October 2006 and closed at midday on Monday 30th October 2006.
To be considered eligible your icon must be:
- Have been born in the United Kingdom or be living in the United Kingdom
- Have made an impact on British cultural life
Other things to consider which are not compulsory but might help your choice:
- If your icon died tomorrow, would they make front page news?
- Has your icon made a cultural impact beyond their personal skills or field of work?
- Will their name be recognised by young and old alike?
- Will we still be talking about them in ten years time?
The public were invited to vote via SMS, phone and online. Voting is now closed and the winner is Sir David Attenborough.
The voting is structured in the following stages:
- Saturday 11th November 2006 - The Top 10 most popular icons drawn up from the nominations will be announced here on the website and on BBC Two's The Culture Show from 7.30pm. Voting to decide the Top 3 commences.
- Monday 27th November 2006 - Voting closes at midday.
- Saturday 2nd December 2006 - The Top 3 icons are announced here on the website and on BBC Two's The Culture Show from 6.40pm. Voting to decide the winner commences.
- Monday 11th December 2006 - Voting closes at midday.
- Saturday 16th December 2006 - The winner of Living Icons is announced here, on the website, and on BBC Two's The Culture Show from 7.30pm.
You can follow the development of Living Icons and watch films featuring advocates arguing for their favourites on BBC Two's The Culture Show every Saturday at 7.30pm.
Both the National Portrait Gallery and the National Gallery, Scotland will be exhibiting portraits of the Top 3 icons from Sunday 3rd December.
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external websites. See our Links Policy for more information.
The nomination process is now closed. However, we hope that the shortlist will provoke lively debate, so share your views on our message board.