Threat to Wales torch coverage lifted
As the Olympic torch crosses the border from England to Wales today, the coverage will go on as planned after a strike was called off.
NUJ and Bectu members in Cardiff and Bangor had voted in favour of a strike in protest to the dismissal of the chair of the Bectu Cardiff branch - tv producer Heidi Williams.
Unions had previously said the producer's dismissal exposed an anti-union agenda given her position in Bectu.
The strike was meant to run from midnight on Thursday for 24 hours. It threatened coverage of the torch coming to Wales including two special one hour editions of Wales Today and BBC Cymru Wales' news programme for S4C, Newyddion. It could have also missed celebrity torch bearers Wales rugby captain Sam Warburton and Olympic gold medal winners Lynn Davies and Darren Campbell.
After talks on Wednesday Heidi Williams made an agreement to leave the BBC and there will be no further talks.
Williams sent an email to Bectu members on Wednesday to inform them.
Bectu's assistant general secretary Luke Williams says, 'Bectu members are happy as long as Heidi is happy.'
The details of the agreement between Williams and the BBC are unknown.
A Bectu statement says: 'Both Bectu and the NUJ hope that despite the seriousness of the issues involved the agreement now reached will allow them to move forward and begin the task of rebuilding the relationship with BBC Wales.'
Rhodri Talfan Davies, director of BBC Cymru Wales, told staff that both BBC Wales and the unions had underlined their commitment to working together in future.