The effect of different vowels on consonants
You may have come across slender or broad vowels. I and E are slender vowels and A,O, and U are the broad vowels. Select the highlighted sounds, words and phrases to hear them. Different vowels affect the consonants, these examples will show you how!
- ir ir
- làidir strong
- Tha Ruairidh làidir Roddy is strong.
- l broad l broad
- lorg find
- Tha iad a-muigh a’ lorg Lachlainn They are out looking for Lachlan
- ll slender ll slender
- soilleir light
- Tha aodach soilleir air Mòrag Morag has light-coloured clothes on.
- nn broad nn broad
- Anna Anne
- Tha Anna air chall Anna is lost.
- nn slender nn slender
- èiginn urgency
- Tha èiginn ann It is urgent.
- rr broad rr broad
- ceàrr wrong
- Chaidh iad ceàrr They went wrong