Parents' Notes - Fox Games
These activities show how numbers can be understood as countable objects which can be grouped together. The creatures called Smeabalan are the equivalents of the counters, beads and blocks that children often use to learn about addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in the classroom. The task is to help Fox fill the spaceships with the correct number of Smeabalan in as few turns as possible.
Click on the cup sign to play the games. Help Fox fill the spaceships with the correct number of Smeabalan in the lowest number of turns. The number of Smeabalan required is displayed on the ships. In some games you must fill the spaceship according to the rule displayed on the side of the ship e.g. only even numbers or only multiples of 10.
There are 60 games. Game 1 is the easiest and game 60 is the hardest. The games are arranged in 6 groups of 10 games of a similar level of difficulty:
• cloud (1 to 10)
• beach (11 to 20)
• canyon (21 to 30)
• castle (31 to 40)
• pyramid (41 to 50)
• forest (51 to 60).
Games can be played in any order. The tenth game in each level is locked and you have to win a gold cup in the other nine games in order to unlock it.
Your aim is to fill the spaceship in as few turns as possible. A gold, silver or bronze prize is awarded at the completion of each game depending on the number of turns taken. During the game the number of turns taken is displayed in the top right hand corner of the screen.
A turn consists of any of the following:
• adding Smeabalan to the crater
• subtracting Smeabalan from the crater
• emptying the crater using the clear button
• flying the spaceship over the crater .
• To place the Smeabalan in the crater, click on the bottles along the edge of the crater. The number of bottles available will vary from game to game.
• Click on the plus button to make the bottles add Smeabalan to the crater.
• Click on the minus button to make the bottles subtract Smeabalan from the crater.
• When the crater contains the required number of Smeabalan, click on the space ship to make it fly over the crater and beam up the Smeabalan.
• Click on the clear button (next to the plus and minus buttons) to remove all Smeabalan from the crater.
• When there is an empty bottle at the right hand side of the row you can choose how many Smeabalan that bottle adds to the crater. Click on the empty bottle to make it absorb the Smeabalan in the crater and store them. Click on it again to make it fill the crater with the number of Smeabalan that it absorbed. Click on the clear button next to it to remove the Smeabalan.
• When some of the ship's windows are empty, you have to identify the sequence of numbers in the windows and fill the empty windows with numbers that complete the sequence.
• Flashing bottles disappear once they have been used once so when you play games featuring these, you have to think even more carefullly about how you're going to make the numbers that you need.
• Click on the crater to display the numbers of Smeabalan in the bottles and the crater.
• Click on the restart button in the top right hand corner to play the game from the beginning.
• Fox will tell you what sum you have done and the sum will appear in the bottom left corner of the screen.
• Any medals that are won and displayed will only be kept for duration of that particular session.
• No more than 100 Smeabalan fit in the crater.
• Click on Fox for help.
Fox Explore Activities
Click on the balloon signpost to play three open ended explore activities. Ships and bottles are initially set up to encourage exploration of a specific concept, but there are no preset goals. They are designed to be played by children on their own, with another child or with a parent or mentor.
There are three explore activities:
Explore 1 (Orange spaceship)
Fill the holes in the peg ship with the number of Smeabalan that matches the number written on its side. Once you have filled the ship a new, empty ship appears. This activity gives feedback on:
• counting on and back in 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s and 10s
Explore 2 (Green spaceship)
Fill the empty spaceship with any number of Smeabalan that you want. Once you have filled the ship a new, empty ship appears. This activity gives feedback on:
• counting on and back in 2s, 5s, 6s, 7s, 8s, 9s and 10s
Explore 3 (Red spaceship)
Fill the rule ship with numbers of Smeabalan that obey the rule written on its side. Once you have filled the ship a new, empty ship appears.
The rules include:
• odd numbers
• even numbers
• multiples of 2
• multiples of 5
• multiples of 10
• numbers ending in 0.
This activity gives feedback on:
• multiples of 2, 5 and 10
• odd and even numbers
• numbers ending in 0.