This shuttle enhanced the weavers creativity and was used in Britian to demonstrate examples of high quality designIn the early 20 century, Iban men carved these shuttles for their wives to weave cloths. The attractiveness of the women's weaving equipment enhanced their creativity as it increased their self-confidence. The designs were purely decorative.
This shuttle was collected in 1920 by Dr Charles Hose, a colonial administrator who wrote about Sarawak. He presented it to Harry Peach, founder of the Dryad Company in Leicester, to be shown at an exhibition at Leicester School of Art in 1925. It then became part of the Dryad collection which Peach, inspired by the ideals of the Arts and Crafts movement, assembled as a teaching aid, demonstrating what he considered to be high quality examples of crafts, design and technology. This collection was donated to the museum in 1969 and was part of the school loans collection until 1988, when it was transferred to the permanent collection.
This shuttle enhanced the weavers creativity and was used in Britian to demonstrate examples of high quality design