This bottle was made in the London area, around 1685, in the very early years of the British stoneware manufacturing industry; a major industry which was to continue on into the middle of the 20th Century. It was possibly made by John Dwight's Fulham Pottery, within just a few years of Dwight being granted a patent for the process of manufacturing brown stoneware, similar to that previously produced in Europe, and commonly known as 'Cologne ware'.
Saltglazed (brown) stoneware was a material which was relatively economical to produce, due primarily to the single firing process which the wares were put through. The body material was a mixture of clays modified with additives such as flint, which was turned on a wheel, (or sometimes moulded,) then air-dried, before being fired in a kiln until vitrified at a temperature in excess of 1200°C. At this point salt was added to the kiln, vaporising, and forming a fine coating over the kiln contents. This material became a most important material for the manufacture of utility bottles and containers, to such an extent that it has been described in recent years as 'the plastic of its time'.