This is the remains of a bronze cosmetic brush handle. It was found along with other objects in grave 41 in the Saxon Cemetery that was discovered in Argyll Avenue, Luton in 1925. This was so precious to the person taht it was buried with them.
The site was excavated by William Austin
and Thomas.W. Bagshawe from August to November 1925. The site was writtin about in the Antiquaries Journal, VIII (1928)p.187.[HER 178].
Thomas W. Bagshawe was one of the early curators for Luton Museum and collected many of the objects we have on display. The cemetary contained forty five inhumations ( or burials) and eight cremations. A large quantity of grave goods were recovered including spears, knives, shield bosses, brooches and necklaces of glass and amber beads. The graves contained adults (both men and women) and children. These burials mainly date from 500 to 600AD.