The Bramhall Chair was made for Archbishop John Bramhall in 1661 to Celebrate the Enthronement of Primate Bramhall in 1661. The Chair also celebrates the events of the English Restoration of 1660. The Chair is made out of Black Oak or Bog Oak. The symbols on the chair are as follows:
The Crown at the top centre celebrates the Restoration of the Monarchy in 1660 and Charles II's crowning as King in 1661.
The Episcopal Mitre signifies that Church Rule has now been restored.
The Coat of Arms of the Archbishop of Armagh.
The crossed croziers tell that the Archbishop's main responsibility is the care of his people.
The year 1661 is the year of manufacture.
The letters 'ARM' proclaim that the chair belongs to Armagh Cathedral.