One of only two airworthy Lancaster bombers in the world which regularly flies from RAF ConingsbyDuring the Second World War, there were 49 airfields in Lincolnshire, more than any other county in England. More than half were bomber bases, earning it the name 'Bomber County', and most of those bombers were Avro Lancasters. It was the main bomber aircraft used by Bomber Command, and flew from the county on some of the most famous missions, including the Dambusters raid on the Ruhr dams. Its powerful Rolls Royce engines meant that it could fly into the heart of Nazi Germany. Lancaster PA474 was built in 1945, too late to see active service, but she was used for photographic reconnaissance in Africa. In 1964, she was adopted by the Air Historical Branch and a programme of restoration work began. She joined the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight in 1973. After major servicing in 2006/07, PA474 wears the markings of EE139, the 'Phantom of the Ruhr'. She sports the letters HR-W of 'The Ton'(100 Squadron) on her port side and BQ-B of 550 Squadron on her starboard, commemorating the crews of both, though it is a flying memorial to all of the men of Bomber Command who died in the Second World War.
One of only two airworthy Lancaster bombers in the world which regularly flies from RAF Coningsby