THIS OBJECT IS PART OF THE PROJECT 'A HISTORY OF CORNWALL IN 100 OBJECTS'.
NEWQUAY OLD CORNWALL SOCIETY. This beach hut armorial miniature has the coat of arms of Newquay on its roof. Newquay became a 'much frequented watering-place' by 1893, and postcards of the day show bathing huts like this one in higgledy piggeldy rows along the beaches.
Newquay began as a fishing port with a medieval pier. When the old mineral railway line from Par started running passenger services in 1876 the holiday business took off. On the headlands enormous hotels - the Headland and Atlantic - were built by Silvanus Trevail, the Luxulyan-born architect.
The souvenir beach hut was made by Cyclone H.A.A. & Co. when sea bathing was fashionable. The firm of W.H. Goss was the first to make miniature armorial wares, beginning in the 1880s. After 1914 there were many Stoke-on-Trent-based firms like Cyclone, Carlton, Arcadian or Grafton making cheaper imitations.