The Stirling Jug, Pint or Stoup was the official Pint measure for Scotland from the early 16th century until the Union in 1707. It is 103.7 cubic inches or approximately 3 and a quarter imperial pints. The Stirling pint was the standard for all volume measures including the dry goods measures for grain. The pint is thought to have been made in 1513 at Edinburgh Castle by Robert Borthwick (the King's Master Gun Maker). The technology for making such an accurate measure was not available until that time. The image on the front of the jug is thought to be a pascal lamb, which was not acceptable after the reformation, and in later versions this was changed to a wolf - the symbol of Stirling. Transferred to The Smith Museum in 1897.