Gilbert Gramophones were produced in Sheffield between 1922 and 1931. The factory was on Arundel Street in the City centre and was founded by Mr Charles Gilbert Hibbard who rearranged his initials to call the company C.H Gilbert and Co. Patents were taken out on many of the parts including the tone arm, amplifier and the sound box (named the 'Tone Reflector'). The volume is controlled by opening and closing the front doors to the cabinet and by use of a soft, medium or loud tone needle.
This particular model retailed at 12 guineas in 1927.
The gramophone introduced entertainment into the home and made music more accessible. Many remained in homes throughout the second world war as popular music was availble on 78rpm records. Neighbours would congregate in homes with a gramophone and enjoy music together.