Steel production was a cornerstone to industry in the North East and to the communities around the Consett area of County Durham. In turn, steel was pivotal to the UK's industrial output. Consett became one of the world's leading steel producing towns, until the industry went into decline and the iron works closed in 1980 with the loss of 3,700 jobs.
This 10 ton capacity tank wagon was built in 1917 by Charles Roberts and Co of Wakefield. It was supplied new to the Ministry of Munitions at Trafford Park, Manchester, being registered by the London and North Western Railway as their number 58817A. It subsequently passed on to the register of the London and North Eastern Railway, being allocated their number 41. It is presumed that at this time it came into the ownership of the Consett Iron Company, whose works occupied many square miles in Consett, County Durham.