This piece of equipment was invented by James Winter of Stoke Sub Hamden in 1807. It consists of a clamp with evenly spaced brass teeth which held the glove and enabled the sewer to sew evenly and more quickly. As all gloves were sewn by hand at that time and the evenness of the stitching was of paramount importance, it was a significant step forward in making of a glove until it was replaced by the sewing machine. It is an item from the collection of the museum of South Somerset in Yeovil.
Most of the content on A History of the World is created by the contributors, who are the museums and members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the BBC or the British Museum. The BBC is not responsible for the content of any external sites referenced. In the event that you consider anything on this page to be in breach of the site’s House Rules please Flag This Object.