This wedding dress was designed and made during World War II. The owner, Lilian Sims, used up all her clothing rations to buy the material from Romford market. With the help of a friend, she stitched and embroidered the dress with glass beads during the blackout. Lilian and Dick Sims were married in 1942 whilst Dick was on embarkation leave from the Royal Artillery. They had just three weeks to make all the preparations. The dress was loaned to at least three others brides during the war. It is now part of the costume collection at Vestry House Museum.