The Hon. Mrs Nellie Ionides (1883-1962) was a renowned collector and connoisseur. She lived at Buxted Park in Sussex and also at Riverside House in Twickenham next to Orleans House. In 1926, a firm of gravel merchants purchased Orleans House and site and demolished the 1710 house. Mrs Ionides stepped in, purchased the remaining 1721 Gibbs-designed Octagon Room and stables buildings and bequeathed them, alongside her collection of local topographical views, to the borough on her death in 1962.
This photograph captures her with one of her beloved poodles Cliquot.