THIS OBJECT IS PART OF THE PROJECT 'A HISTORY OF CORNWALL IN 100 OBJECTS'.
REDRUTH TOWN MUSEUM. Carn Brea is an impressive hill to the south west of Redruth that still dominates the town's skyline with its castle and early 19th century monument. One of the best views of it on a clear day is from St Ives Museum. This hilltop was only occupied in the Neolithic, Iron Age, Medieval and Modern periods. The many hundreds of flint arrowheads found scattered at the site suggest that Carn Brea may have been attacked at least once.
The earliest, and most significant, settlement at Carn Brea was a tor enclosure covering some 46 acres and occupied between 3700 and 3400 BC. A population of 100 to 150 people has been suggested. Carn Brea remains the best understood of Cornwall's Neolithic hill forts. It was clearly a very important site and a focal point in the landscape. The site was excavated between 1970 and 1973 by Roger Mercer and this collection of arrowheads was collected by Mr George Blight of Illogan, a keen archaeologist, between 1895 and 1915.
Photo: Bernie Pettersen