This is a photograph of the men who worked in the electric shop at wolverton Railway Works in 1913.
The introduction of passenger railways in the 1820s was followed by an incredible growth in this new form of transport. When the London and Birmingham Railway was formed in 1833, the railway company needed a stopping point midway between the two cities which could be used for locomotive fuelling and repair.
In 1838, the small village of Wolverton was chosen and it became the first purpose built Railway town on a green-field site, where everything had to be built from scratch. This included houses, schools, churches and entertainment venues. Within a few years Wolverton works became the largest railway works in the world.