This 1200-1300 year old fragment of Pictish carving was found built into the relieving arch at the West End of Tarbat Church, where it still remains. It may originally have been part of a larger interlaced celtic knotwork panel from a cross-slab.
A Church has been standing on the site at Tarbat for over 1000 years. The first Church was built around the 8th century then subsequently re-built or re-modelled a total of 5 times to the present day. Many of the Pictish stones at Tarbat were used in the re-building of these successive churches.