The Senior Constable of St Peter Port, Jenny Tasker, brought in a Guernsey copper can which was made in the parish of St Martin in the 1980's.
The constables of St Peter Port and the parish douzaine presented the can to HMS Guernsey in 1983. That ship - the fourth to be named after the island - was decomissioned and sold to Bangladesh about twenty years later. It was then renamed Turag after the Bangladeshi river. The first HMS Guernsey was originally named HMS Basing. It was a 22 gun, fifth rate ship which was launched in 1654 before being renamed HMS Guernsey in 1660 during a refit. She took part in the Battle of Lowestoft on 3 June 1665 where the British Navy sunk or captured nearly 30 Dutch ships and the Battle of Texel, another victory over the Dutch on 11 August 1673.
On the last visit to the island of the most recent HMS Guernsey, the captain returned the can to the parish.