THIS OBJECT IS PART OF THE PROJECT 'A HISTORY OF CORNWALL IN 100 OBJECTS'.
CONSTANTINE HERITAGE CENTRE. John Wesley preached Methodism in Cornwall and this was enthusiastically taken up by the Cornish. The portable lidded font of c.1880 date comes from Constantine chapel, now the Tolmen Centre and Heritage Centre. It contrasts with the large fixed fonts of the Anglican church. Made of parian ware - a type of porcelain - developed by the firm of W.H. Goss and others, the font is in the Gothic style. Band of Hope and Sunday School banners, and other chapel memorabilia, are displayed here. Methodism in this parish, like many others in Cornwall, goes back 250 years.
This moveable font was used in the chapel at Constantine when there were Sunday congregations of over 400. Congregations declined and local residents bought the chapel in 1998.
Photo: Bernie Pettersen