Temple Newsam is one of the great historic estates in England. Set within over 1500 acres of parkland, woodland and farmland landscaped by Capability Brown in the 18th century, it is a magnificent Tudor-Jacobean mansion. Famous as the birthplace of Lord Darnley and home to the Ingram family for over 300 years, the mansion houses rich collections of works of art.
This is a remarkably early and unusual doll's house. It dates from the middle of the 18th century and consists of four 'rooms', seen behind sash windows. In the middle of the 18th century, the five daughters of Lord and Lady Irwin had a dolls' house like this one because we know that their father frequently bought them furniture and trinkets from Maurice Tobin's 'toyshop' in Leeds.