The shoes were owned by Lady Eleanor Butler, one of the Ladies of Llangollen. Along with her companion, Miss Sarah Ponsonby, she ran away from Ireland in 1778. The pair eventually settled in Pen-y-Maes cottage, Llangollen, and re-named it Plas Newydd, the name it has borne ever since. The shoes, made of leather and silk show very fine work, reflecting Eleanor's and Sarah's status - both were members of the Irish nobility. These shoes must have been very special - in one description, Eleanor is described as wearing, "hair combed straight back and powdered, a round man's hat, a man's cravat and waistcoat, but in place of "inexpressables" (breeches) a short petticoat and boots.."