A programme and souvenir of the First Grand Shaksperian Revival performed at the Grand Theatre, Glasgow. The Grand Theatre, at the corner of Stewart Street and Cowcaddens Street in Cowcaddens, opened in 1881 with a capacity of 2030. It had previously been the Prince of Wales Theatre but was completely refurbished for its change of name. Originally a variety theatre, the Grand also staged productions of opera and pantomime. In 1909 it was taken over by Moss Empires Ltd. The theatre was destroyed by fire in 1989 and the New Grand Picture House was built on the site.