The cannon ball was discovered lodged under the eaves of our premises at 37 Le Pollet, St Peter Port when installing a new roof during the mid 1990s.
The cannon ball is iron and is almost perfectly spherical and approximately nine centimetres in diameter. It seems certain that it must be there as a result of the bombardments of the town from Castle Cornet during the English Civil War of 1642-1651. At this time, the castle was the home of the island's governor, who was appointed by the monarch. The heavily armed citadel therefore supported the King. However the island of Guernsey supported the parliamentarian cause.
We had the cannon ball mounted and it has been used in window displays for our pharmacy business.